Concordia University Wisconsin has many opportunities for students to transfer in credits earned prior to attending CUW. Please select from the categories below to learn more:

Undergraduate Students

Transfer students applying for transfer credit at CUWAA are subject to the following requirements:

  • Student must furnish the Admission Office with an official college transcript from each college attended. Student must complete one semester satisfactorily at CUWAA before the award of transfer credit becomes final. Transfer credit may be awarded for each course in which the student received a grade of ‘‘D’’ or better provided that the course curriculum is similar to one being taught at CUWAA or is one which could be considered an elective.
  • Normally only credits from a regionally accredited institution will be considered for transfer. Any exceptions will be made on an individual basis. In some cases, there are articulated agreements that govern the transfer of credits.
  • Transfer credits are not used in calculating the student’s grade point average.
  • Students may be required to submit their official high school transcript if transferring less than 60 college credits.
  • Students need to take 36 credits of residency at CUWAA. Some programs may have additional requirements.
  • To earn a bachelor’s degree from Concordia, students may transfer in a maximum of 84 credits including prior learning credits. At least 36 credits must be earned at CUWAA, and students must be enrolled at CUWAA (either full-time or part-time) during their final academic term.

Approaches to earning credits

This option may not be applicable within all academic programs. Prior approval by a department level official must be obtained before enrolling in any of the options listed below. All transcripts must be on file at Concordia to ensure there will be no duplication of coursework.

Advanced placement / Dual Credit

The University will recognize unusual secondary school work by means of advanced placement, and dual credit courses and will grant credit to those who have taken especially enriched or accelerated courses before entering college or who have appropriate vocational or professional experience. Applicants qualify for such credit by satisfactory achievement on college-approved placement examinations, including the College Board Advanced Placement Tests, CLEP (College Level Examination Program), DSST(formerly DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) or faculty-authored challenge examinations. College credit total a maximum of 30 semester credits may be earned by satisfactorily completing such examinations.

Retroactive credit for foreign languages

Retroactive credit is available in foreign languages, wherein credit may be given for pre-college foreign language study if the student takes the next highest level of the foreign language at this University and achieves a C or better. The student must request credit for the lower-level course(s) that were by passed.

Military credits

Military Credits are granted based on the evaluation of an Official Joint Service (JST) transcript or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript. Concordia accepts up to 63 credits applied towards; electives, lower/upper level core, and/or major requirements.

Prior Learning Assessment

Prior Learning Assessment of experiential learning allows accepted students to seek credit by documenting real-world performance, college-level knowledge and outcome-based competence acquired outside a classroom setting. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Workshops are periodically conducted at each center and online. During these sessions the students are guided through the process of determining what constitutes college-level learning, outcome-based competence, the process of developing each petition for credit, and how to document learning. Participation in a Concordia PLA Development Workshop is required for students who wish to submit a PLA proposal. The student would contact their academic advisor to learn about how to participate in a workshop.

Prior learning credits, if awarded, may apply either toward the academic major or required elective coursework within the bachelor’s degree. The “physical development” requirement within Concordia’s elective core may also be met through the prior learning credit pathway. A maximum of 21 prior learning credits can be awarded and these credits may not be included within the thirty-six residency credits which must be completed at Concordia University in order to be awarded a bachelor’s degree. 

All official transcripts for any credits to be transferred to Concordia should be on file prior to submitting a Prior Learning Assessment portfolio to avoid duplication of credits. Prior Learning Assessment portfolio submissions may also not duplicate any coursework completed at Concordia. The Prior Learning Assessment Committee reviews submissions monthly. Petitions should be submitted for only the number of credits needed. Students will be notified by university email of the committee’s decision. Credits denied may be resubmitted for reconsideration in certain cases. If the Prior Learning Assessment Committee requests a revision to a submitted proposal, there is no new fee assessed.

A per credit evaluation fee ($75) is charged for Prior Learning Assessment portfolio submissions and is due at the time of submission. This evaluation fee is not returned if credits are not awarded. This fee is also ineligible within the university financial aid process. Credits awarded through Prior Learning Assessment are extremely unlikely to be transferrable to another school.

Cambridge assessment

A and AS levels for credit will be reviewed based on course content per a review of the syllabus. A grade of C or better is required for credit. These credits may be awarded toward general education requirements, degree requirements, or elective credit. In order to grant the credit, an official copy of the Exam Certificate or the Statement of Provisional Results from the examination board will be required. Course transfer equivalencies will be determined by the registrar upon admission to the university.

Alternative credit earning options

American Council on Education (ACE) and National Program on Non-Collegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI): ACE and PONSI are organizations which validate for-credit coursework completed through non-collegiate education and training programs. The student must have official copies of the educational transcripts sent to Concordia.

Life Office Management Association (LOMA) and American Institute of Banking (AIB): LOMA and AIB provide means to receive college credit for company training professional development programs through an employer. The student must have official copies of the educational transcripts sent to Concordia.

International Baccalaureate (IB): Focuses on personal, professional and academic development and is globally recognized by universities for the holistic and rigorous education it provides. Click here to learn more about IB Policy development.

Graduate Students

Depending on the admission policy of the program, a student may be allowed credit for work completed at the graduate level prior to enrolling at Concordia University. The applicant must provide official transcripts documenting the completed work and the grades obtained for this work. These grades must meet the Concordia admission standards. In order to transfer to Concordia, the number of graduate credits for a course taken at another university must be equal to or greater than the number of credits of a comparable course at Concordia, i.e., a two-credit course cannot transfer in for a required three-credit course. Courses in which the student received lower than a 3.0 (B) will not be considered for transfer. Unless stated in the programs handbook, no more than six credits may be transferred from another institution. Please contact your program for more information.

Articulation agreements


The Registrar's Office is located in Stuenkel, room 103. Our regular business hours are from 8am to 5:30pm on Monday through Thursday and 8am through 4pm on Fridays. Hours may vary at different times of the semester. For holiday closures, please check the academic calendar.

You may email us at or call 262.243.4345.

Transfer out to other institutions

Concordia University Nebraska

Program: Graduate and Professional
Major or Graduate Degree: PharmD
Partner Program: Master's in Public Health with Medication Safety & Pharmacovigilance Concentration

Concordia Wisconsin PharmD students complete 10 elective credits taught by Wisconsin which also qualify as the concentration in the Master's in Public Health degree at Concordia Nebraska. If Concordia Wisconsin students enter the dual degree program, 12 of the required 39 credits in the MPH at Nebraska have been completed at Wisconsin and the balance of the courses toward the MPH are taken at Nebraska. Students matriculate at both institutions. 

Lakeland University

Concordia Program: Graduate and Professional
Concordia Major or Graduate Degree: PharmD
Partner Program: B.S. Biochemistry with Pharmaceutical emphasis

Students taking a B.S. Degree in Biochemistry with a Pharmaceutical Emphasis from Lakeland use a reverse transfer arrangement of the first year of the Doctor of Pharmacy program at CUW. The B.S. degree is awarded by LU and the PharmD degree awarded by CUW. This is designed as a 3 + 4 program.

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

Concordia Program: Graduate and Professional
Concordia Major or Graduate Degree: PharmD
Partner Program: Biological Sciences Undergraduate Major

3 + 4 Program leading to a B.S. Degree in Biological Sciences from UWM and a PharmD from CUW.

Cooperative Degrees

We’ve designed this program with Alverno College
  • Music Education - Music Therapy
We've designed these cooperative programs with Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC):
  • Interior Design
  • Horticulture
  • Environmental Health and Water Quality Technology
We've designed these cooperative programs with the Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design (MIAD):
  • Graphic Design
  • Interior Architecture and Design
  • Illustration
We've designed this cooperative programs with the Mount Mary University
  • Fashion Merchandising